Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Revit Westok Beams - OOTB

I don't know about you, but the parameters in the OOTB Westok beams are a pain to understand, so I have decided to list the important ones!

Parameters

Do - Hole Diameter

S - Hole spacing

h1 - Hole Radius (1)

h2 - Hole Radius (2)

d1 - Total beam depth minus h1 Hole Radius (top)

bf1 - Beam 1 Flange width (top)

tf1 - Beam 1 Flange thickness (top)

tw1 - Beam 1 Web thickness (top)

k1 - I am open to suggestions on this one....?

d2 - Total beam depth minus h2 Hole Radius (bottom)

bf2 - Beam 2 Flange width (bottom)

tf2 - Beam 2 flange thickness (bottom)

tw2 - Beam 2 Web thickness (bottom)

k2 - Once again.... I am open to suggestions?

Using the parameters above (or should I say understanding the parameters above) allowed me to consult my steel stock book, and accurately model 30 types of Westok beam in a project.


Hopefully this post will help you use Westok beams within Revit Structure.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, I wonder if you can help me. I am trying to create a westok beam 935x229x113 from 610x229x113 UKB with 675 cells at 840 crs. I have followed your notes above but Revit refuses to create the beam. Any help greatly appreciated.
    Steve.
    Revit Structure 2011

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.

    Are you using the OOTB "Cellular Beam" family?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi glenn,

    Is there any chance you would share them westok beam families with me ?

    regards

    ReplyDelete
  4. All i have done is modify the out of the box families.

    It is easy enough to do if you follow the steps above for the parameters.

    If you don't have access to the metric library, you can download the Westok (Cellular Beams) from Autodesk seek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Had a go at this, is there a way to change the settings so that if a beam goes from column to column then column to core wall, the hoels stay aligned?, mien seem to not so not sure what to do?

      Delete
  5. I've tried this and all seems fine except where i have one beam from a column to column and the other from a column to core wall, in elevation, the holes dont align, Is there a way to overcome this?? or could you point me in the right direction?

    ReplyDelete