Thursday, August 23, 2012

Revit & Robot Link–Problems

I have spent a few days exploring the link between Revit and Robot. Started out building a model in Revit, setting up a central file so the Engineer always has a local copy of the Revit model which they work with when importing / exporting with Robot, and the Revit operator having a local copy of the model. We tried passing that information from Revit through to Robot, making a change to the model within Robot and passing the information back to Revit.

That works perfect.

The next step was to make a change to this model in Revit and pass that model back to Robot.

That works perfect.

We then thought about workflow, it isn't practical having the Revit operator sit waiting for the engineer to finish, so we tried passing the Revit model back into Robot, then simultaneously work in Revit making annotations, setting up views, etc. whilst the engineer was making updates to the model in Robot. We faced a few worksharing issues but once the saves / relinquishes were done this worked perfect. I was able to annotate the model whilst the engineer made design changes.

The next step was to make simultaneous changes within the Revit and Robot environment to the model elements, so for example the engineer changed the size of a beam, and I changed the size of a specific column, when we pushed and pulled this information back into Revit and Robot the model updated perfectly.

Here's where the problem comes.

The members that Robot pushes into Revit are specific to Robot. We obviously have our own libraries set up with object styles etc. so from a documentation point of view, we need to make sure we use our own in house families.

When I change one of the robot members to be one of our in house Revit members as the engineer simultaneously changes something within Robot it seems to fall down, without even syncing the model, when we try push the Robot info back into Revit we get the error message that the Robot model was created from a different Revit file, and Robot basically copies the whole model into Revit and we finish up with duplicate members in the same planes. Not to mention members ending up off axis.

So it would appear the issue lies with changing a family from the Robot specific element that was pushed into Revit, to one of our own. Which I will add are simply an amended version of the out of the box Revit content delivered by Autodesk.

I don’t yet have a solution for this problem, but thought it was worth pointing out.